Friday, October 20, 2006

The Literalist


It’s so weird. I’ve started three posts this week and then halfway through haven’t been able to finish them. Huh. I guess I’m just having a tough time expressing myself at the moment.

Well. I’ll try something short, at least, that cracked me up the other day. On Wednesday I was sitting at my desk minding my own business. An office work guy had set up a ladder right next to me and was busy fiddling with something on the ceiling directly over my head. After checking quickly to make sure that he couldn’t see down my shirt from his angle, I calmly went back to work.

A little later, my ex-boss walked by and said, “Having some work done?”

“Yeah,” I responded, “I’m having him install a chandelier.”

A second later while I was still busy analyzing the cleverness of my response and its potential impact on my career, one of my coworkers walked over and explained to me that actually the workman propped precariously over my head on that ladder was installing network cables. Did my coworker actually think I had become temporarily deranged, and that I truly believed I’d at some point arranged to have a chandelier installed over my desk? I wonder.

- EEK

4 comments:

Margaret said...

His request for a ceiling fan had probably been shot down.

Killer said...

I love those people.

When I worked in California, and was taking a trip home to Mississippi, my coworker asked, "will you bring me something back?" I said, "Sure, I will bring you a slave."
She was silent for a while and then said, "I don't think that's legal in California."

Anonymous said...

Literalists depress me. I want to shout, "It's a joke! I'm funny! And you're ruining my life by making me explain that!"

Anonymous said...

Was the co-worker a male? Maybe he didn't think a woman would understand all the complcated "network cables" high tech stuff, and was trying to set you right.