Friday, December 01, 2006

[insert my company name here] Lady

I'm working from home today. I spent this morning reading through emails in my pajamas. By noon, I felt disgusting because I hadn't brushed my teeth or hair. I was also starving because my refrigerator is currently being under-utilized. At the moment it's holding just a few lonely bottles of Heineken Light and some possibly expired red pepper dip. I decided that a walk through the neighborhood to my local coffee shop would revitalize me (once I'd brushed my teeth and washed my hair). So now I'm going to spend the afternoon here, responding to emails and perusing spreadsheets (and I know what you're thinking -- you're blogging. not working. -- Well, what are you? The work police? I'm on my lunch break.). I honestly think I'm more productive on the days that I work from home. I'm more inaccessible and can spend long uninterrupted periods of time...well...working. The one caveat that I have is I usually don't stay at home the entire day. I have to leave -- to a coffee shop or library or something. Otherwise I begin to get distracted by all of the awesome things there are to do around my house. I also get a little lonely. Sitting there all alone.

I'd originally planned to work at home today because I'm flying out of Midway Airport this evening, and it's much easier to access Midway from my place than from work. From my place I can take the el. From work my only option is a $75 cab ride. When I woke up this morning and rolled over in bed to peak out the window, I couldn't help but smile at all the poor saps that have to commute in hellacious blizzard conditions. Then I rolled back over and slept for another thirty minutes. When I got up, I emailed a friend of mine at work to ask how many people had made it into the office (note that this was my passive-aggressive method of gloating).

Right now I'm thinking of all of my public-transportation commuting friends. Not real friends per se. More like people that I've been seeing everyday for three years that I have either never or rarely spoken with, but with whom I feel a sort of bond. They are familiar. They ride the same el/metra as me everyday. Same car and usually same seat. Familiar.

I've given secret nicknames to my favorites. I didn't realize that I'd done this until recently when I was discussing my commute with my sister and mentioned some of the people. She pointed out to me that this was an odd habit, but she said this in a kind way that implied it was odd-funny, not odd-creepy. My favorite commuter friend is Old Sully.

He looks just like a friend of mine from college whose name is Sully. Only older. He looks like my friend Sully in fifteen years. When I first started seeing Old Sully, I used to imagine (fantasize?) that he really was my friend Sully. That somehow time had crossed itself and the Sully of fifteen years was coexisting in the same dimension as me. He didn't notice it was me, because the Emily he knew would be fifteen years-older. He probably would have just assumed that I was someone that looked like his friend Emily, but fifteen years younger. Because of this, I'll frequently scrutinize Old Sully to determine whether he looks successful/happy (to utilize as a predictor of Real Sully's future). I love Old Sully. His company has blue-jean Fridays.

I have a few others...Short Elvis, Alligator Shoes (this girl wears the same pair of flamboyantly colored alligator shoes everyday. Spring, summer, fall. They're a nice looking pair of shoes, so I'm not complaining. Just noticing.), Frank, Hot Bald Guy.

Frank is a conductor, but Frank's not his real name. Everyday this (possibly mentally-disabled) guy calls him Frank.

"Bye Frank," he'll say prior to shaking Frank's hand as he exits the train. Frank, the conductor, will always politely correct him.

"That's not my name," he'll say, "my name is Paul."

They do this everyday.

A few months ago, I was riding the train home when I heard Hot Bald Guy say, "Hey. [insert my company name here] Lady. Was the shuttle late today?"

I didn't answer him at first, because I didn't realize that he was talking to me. Instead I continued reading my book. He repeated himself, and it suddenly dawned on me that he was talking to me. I answered him, and we spoke for a few minutes. Then I went back to reading. Secretly I was pleased to have warranted a nickname of my own.

THE MOST USELESS THING I'VE DONE TODAY

Flipped off a rude driver while wearing mittens. He drove off before I could realize the fruitlessness of my crass gesture.

Have a nice weekend.

-EEK

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's great that you spend your commute fantacising about time crossing it's self.

EEK said...

Chalk it up to being one of my oddities.

Killer said...

I like to give people nicknames too, but they are usually not as pleasant as yours.
Maybe if you wore the mittens all the time you would not let that finger get you into so much trouble.

Anonymous said...

In New York and not on what you might call a regular work schedule, I hardly ever see the same person twice in this city, subway or no. It's part of the reason I live here - we have all cultivated a careful ignorance of each other.

Where have your travels taken you besides Midway?

p.s. My blog now links to your blog, which I guess makes us "blog buddies," despite the fact that I don't know your name or anything about you.
p.p.s. The mitten story was cute.

Anonymous said...

You've got an inventive way of recalling people's faces by giving them nicknames...and the stories woven in their midst play around the daily grind to and from work...its nice to know that you have an option of working home...specially pc or laptop work gets done faster at times when you're working on a deadline which is stressful enough...but then again I hate to bring work at home not unless when I really have to...grrrrr...its going to eat you up and even show up in your blissful dreams..arhhhh

Wavemancali said...

Damn, everyone doesnn't do this? I thought I was normal.

Like killer my names for them are less than kind. I have several with the same nickname of "just have to get in front of one more car guy" but then I drive to work instead of taking transit.