
First. Thanks for all of the great responses to the last post. I feel much closer to all of you now. Also, it's good to know that I'm not hanging out with a bunch of virgins.
Killer borrowed a fertile topic from Mel that involved the theoretical question:
Given the choice, what super power would you want to have?
Killer's response naturally entailed the capability to pull off his own feet, which he would then utilize as an object to hurl at super villains in an effort to thwart their evil plans. Frankly, I was impressed.
I've run into this question once before while on a first date a few years ago with some guy whose name I can’t remember at the moment. Our date was going okay despite the fact that the food wasn’t very good. We’d gone to this restaurant called the Flat Top Grill. It’s a fine place if you don’t mind those ‘create your own stir fry’ themes where you have to pick your raw ingredients from a salad bar set-up. I hate creating my own stir fry. (note that it was me who'd chosen the restaurant) In my opinion, restaurants should be solely responsible for figuring out what goes with what. Whenever I try, I just start to feel confused and disoriented. The results are never good.
So, on the date, I was busy feeling sorry for myself for being so bad at making good choices in terms of selecting my stir fry ingredients, when my date suddenly leaned forward and popped the question.
“If you had to choose, what super power would you want?”
“Um,” I said thoughtfully, “I don’t know. Maybe punctuality.”
“What?!” he yelped indignantly, “Be serious. I’ll bet you’d pick something like flying.”
I poured some more wine into our glasses.
“I’m afraid of heights. Besides, think how efficient you’d be if you were always exactly on time. Think of how much time you’d free up. You’d never have to wait for a bus. You’d never be late for a movie. You’d never get fired from a job…”
I glanced down at my plate and punctured another piece of broccoli with my fork.
“That’s ridiculous.”
“So,” I mumbled through the food in my mouth.
After that, the debate veered off into another direction.
It’s been a few years, and, although I still stand by my stance that flawless punctuality would be awesome, I feel that I’ve changed a little since then. Perhaps undergone some character growth, or, alternatively, maybe I've just made my brain all foggy through rampant idleness and drinking. Regardless of the cause, my answer has changed.
Given the choice, what super power would you want to have?
Killer's response naturally entailed the capability to pull off his own feet, which he would then utilize as an object to hurl at super villains in an effort to thwart their evil plans. Frankly, I was impressed.
I've run into this question once before while on a first date a few years ago with some guy whose name I can’t remember at the moment. Our date was going okay despite the fact that the food wasn’t very good. We’d gone to this restaurant called the Flat Top Grill. It’s a fine place if you don’t mind those ‘create your own stir fry’ themes where you have to pick your raw ingredients from a salad bar set-up. I hate creating my own stir fry. (note that it was me who'd chosen the restaurant) In my opinion, restaurants should be solely responsible for figuring out what goes with what. Whenever I try, I just start to feel confused and disoriented. The results are never good.
So, on the date, I was busy feeling sorry for myself for being so bad at making good choices in terms of selecting my stir fry ingredients, when my date suddenly leaned forward and popped the question.
“If you had to choose, what super power would you want?”
“Um,” I said thoughtfully, “I don’t know. Maybe punctuality.”
“What?!” he yelped indignantly, “Be serious. I’ll bet you’d pick something like flying.”
I poured some more wine into our glasses.
“I’m afraid of heights. Besides, think how efficient you’d be if you were always exactly on time. Think of how much time you’d free up. You’d never have to wait for a bus. You’d never be late for a movie. You’d never get fired from a job…”
I glanced down at my plate and punctured another piece of broccoli with my fork.
“That’s ridiculous.”
“So,” I mumbled through the food in my mouth.
After that, the debate veered off into another direction.
It’s been a few years, and, although I still stand by my stance that flawless punctuality would be awesome, I feel that I’ve changed a little since then. Perhaps undergone some character growth, or, alternatively, maybe I've just made my brain all foggy through rampant idleness and drinking. Regardless of the cause, my answer has changed.
Given the option, I’d like to have the super power of natural fire retardation.
Stay with me on this one.
In essence, I would like the mere presence of me to prompt all forms of fire to spontaneously extinguish. I wouldn’t have to wave my arms or blow at the flames or anything like that. All I’d do is stand there next to the fire. Sometimes maybe I could whistle if there are children around that need soothing.
There’d be lots of drawbacks. I wouldn’t be popular at birthday parties. Also, I would ruin candle lit dinners for everybody and, likely, every other romantic endeavor occurring fireside.
On the other hand if those California wild fires spring up again or some rogue cow starts another inferno here in Chicago, guess who’ll suddenly be “Ms. Popular”. That’s right, me, Mighty Girl Flameless or maybe The Fire Retard. I haven’t settled on a name yet. I do like names that start with the word ‘the’, though. I feel like it adds resonance. Unlike the real me, my superhero persona wouldn’t hold grudges so I’d always be willing to lend a hand.
My costume would consist of a blue-green leotard with gold wrist cuffs and gold boots and maybe some sort of gold headband. Mostly, I’d just have a whole gold theme going.
Every hero needs a nemesis, so I’m guessing mine would be some guy that has a tendency to start catastrophic fires. I call him Charson.* He would wear an orange Speedo and whiz around lighting fires with his eyes. He’d be the only child of a set of binary suns in a distant solar system, and, would hate me because while on vacation one year, I accidentally flew too close in my golden flying castle** to his parents and extinguished/killed them. Charson would promise the black holes that had taken over the space once occupied by his parents that he would avenge their untimely demise. Then he’d come to Earth and start setting everything on fire.
My kryptonite would be liquor, which would annihilate my retardant capabilities making me highly flammable. Upon discovering my weakness, Charson would trick my secret identity, a librarian named Claire, into going out on a date with him (in disguise). During the date, he would ply me with alcohol (without my knowledge), thus negating my power. I would suddenly burst into flames when a man at a neighboring table strikes a match to light his cigar. As I lay dying within the burning restaurant, Charson would suddenly realize that he has fallen in love with me, but it is too late. In a horrible moment of realization, Charson would finally understand that revenge never pays.
*A combination of the words ‘char’, ‘arson’ and ‘son’.
** My mobile dwelling. Note that while on Earth, I’d keep my golden flying castle parked on a cloud drifting over Chicago.
Stay with me on this one.
In essence, I would like the mere presence of me to prompt all forms of fire to spontaneously extinguish. I wouldn’t have to wave my arms or blow at the flames or anything like that. All I’d do is stand there next to the fire. Sometimes maybe I could whistle if there are children around that need soothing.
There’d be lots of drawbacks. I wouldn’t be popular at birthday parties. Also, I would ruin candle lit dinners for everybody and, likely, every other romantic endeavor occurring fireside.
On the other hand if those California wild fires spring up again or some rogue cow starts another inferno here in Chicago, guess who’ll suddenly be “Ms. Popular”. That’s right, me, Mighty Girl Flameless or maybe The Fire Retard. I haven’t settled on a name yet. I do like names that start with the word ‘the’, though. I feel like it adds resonance. Unlike the real me, my superhero persona wouldn’t hold grudges so I’d always be willing to lend a hand.
My costume would consist of a blue-green leotard with gold wrist cuffs and gold boots and maybe some sort of gold headband. Mostly, I’d just have a whole gold theme going.
Every hero needs a nemesis, so I’m guessing mine would be some guy that has a tendency to start catastrophic fires. I call him Charson.* He would wear an orange Speedo and whiz around lighting fires with his eyes. He’d be the only child of a set of binary suns in a distant solar system, and, would hate me because while on vacation one year, I accidentally flew too close in my golden flying castle** to his parents and extinguished/killed them. Charson would promise the black holes that had taken over the space once occupied by his parents that he would avenge their untimely demise. Then he’d come to Earth and start setting everything on fire.
My kryptonite would be liquor, which would annihilate my retardant capabilities making me highly flammable. Upon discovering my weakness, Charson would trick my secret identity, a librarian named Claire, into going out on a date with him (in disguise). During the date, he would ply me with alcohol (without my knowledge), thus negating my power. I would suddenly burst into flames when a man at a neighboring table strikes a match to light his cigar. As I lay dying within the burning restaurant, Charson would suddenly realize that he has fallen in love with me, but it is too late. In a horrible moment of realization, Charson would finally understand that revenge never pays.
*A combination of the words ‘char’, ‘arson’ and ‘son’.
** My mobile dwelling. Note that while on Earth, I’d keep my golden flying castle parked on a cloud drifting over Chicago.
The end.
-EEK

18 comments:
I love the name, "The Fire Retard".
I wonder if any Southern Baptist parents would try to get you to fix their gay flaming sons?
I just added you to my list of people I cyberstalk.
Awesome.
So funny. I used to fight wildland fires, it would have been really handy to have had you there.
So I was reading your entry too quickly, sort of a way of subconsciously tricking myself into thinking that I'm NOT at home on Friday night reading blogs...you catch my drift.
And I must have read wrong, because I missed the word "fire" and I thought that your superpower was "natural retardation." Like, I don't know, you could render yourself mentally handicapped when the situation called for it.
Then I was sort of thinking about it, and wouldn't that be kind of a fun superpower? Like if you're ever in a debate where you know you're wrong or something. Bam - you're handicapped, someone is wiping the dribble from your mouth, and you're homefree.
Go with The Fire Retard. It's perfect.
The problem with being a superhero is that you have to be willing to sport your underwear on top of your clothing (or at times, that's all the superhero dress code allows you to wear). That's the reason I never dressed up as Wonder Woman as a child...
Although those gold boots you've got planned for yourself sound FAAAA-BULOUS!!
The blue-green leotard caused me to picture you as a large rolling Tsunami as you moved almost instantaneously from fire to fire.
I can't help but think that you're spending WAY too much time thinking about this particular scenario.
My power would be the ability to induce loose bowels in people, simply by pointing my finger at their duodedum. Honestly, this would be awesome. I get pulled over. I point my finger. Cop goes away. I get a little car stuck in my butt (somehow), I point my finger at my own tummy. My name would be "The Reuglator," or "Mr. Metamucil." My arch nemesis would be bananas and cheese. My sidekick would be Coffee-Boy.
twobuyfour, I spend too much time on a lot of things I shouldn't.
Really, a blue-green leotard? Isn't that kinda watery?
Okay, really, this is what I am concerned about? But yes, yes I am.
SO this topic was conveniently brought up in my Art/Design class last week - with a slight edit: What useless superpower would you want and why?
No, this wasn't an actual Art/Design debate topic - it was discussed during one of our projects ad infinitum.
Some highlights:
1) The ability to smell cheese from large distances.
2) Lethal flatulence.*
3) The ability to cause uncontrollable yawning when present.
4) Sudden explosions caused by the uttering of a randomly chosen word that alternates week by week.**
* I argued that this could be useful in the right situation.
** We discussed how you could utilize this by reading a dictionary.
Think Frustrated : I vote for The Regulator as he would already have his theme song, Warren G's "Regulate."
Regulaatoorrr MOUNT UP!
You inspired me today EEK. While I liked Killer's, yours was the one that made me do the same post, but with my super power.
I liked your punctuality power though. It infers teleportation because if you are in China and you have an appointment in Denver in 15 minutes, nothing else is going to get you there.
You could also abuse your power this way. Make offhanded appointments with your frinds at someplace you wanted to be in 5 minutes. Bam your power lands you there.
I'm one step away from having the natural powers of retardation myself. It's a wonder I'm not more famous.
And since I just happened to stop by at the stroke of midnight, I just wanted to wish you a happy Valentine's Day. May tons of guys trip over themselves to be the first one to take you out.
the dummy - you just literally made me go 'Awww' out loud. That was incredibly nice.
Man, I love the Trib, and, howa, I vleo ubmlej oto. That's pretty much my favorite part.
You could never go near a gas-powered stove.
Or an oil drill.
Fire is our friend.
Post a Comment